Tuesday 10 July 2012

Good Morning All,
It has been a while since the last post as the author has been quite busy living the life of a happy, sweet teenager.  So, I guess to fill you all in, I will attempt to write a little and share our life during the past few months.  We are now settled in to our lovely home in Fort Smith, and are enjoying the latest heat wave of summer.  My "garden" is coming along nicely...peas, tomatoes, green and yellow peppers.  This has been my first real attempt at a garden, and I must say I enjoy the feeling of gratitude that accompanies picking fresh peas and tasting the sweet flavor.  Having attended a gardening workshop early this spring, I was able to communicate with fellow gardeners, and some of their enthusiasm has rubbed off!  I absolutely feel that growing our own food, without the use of chemical intervention, will give us great reward.
See the green pepper?



The children are now sleeping, and it seems that time with them is dwindling...we have made it a point to spend at least a few minutes each day, usually around the supper table, discussing their day and trying to communicate.  They seem to go in every direction and if we are not careful the days will slip by without having any sort of conversation with them.  We recently purchased a new boat, and spent all day Sunday on the Slave River.  It was a glorious day, and it was just us....the six of us with no interruptions, just quiet talk, and when we arrived at Hook Lake, the kids jumped in and had a  refreshing swim.  This was a day to cherish, and all of the kids said how much they enjoyed this day.  Time with each other really is priceless!
Sunset on the Slave



Refreshing and fun!







So, throw away/unhook/step away from technology, get close to nature, grow your own food, and enjoy your families...God is so good, and if you haven't already done so, read "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Sheila (I think it was you who wrote this post??). Love seeing the pictures of family, although I was looking forward to seeing pics of your completed home. Yes, children grow up very quickly. With Sarah graduating this year, it seems that we will be empty nesters too soon. The grandgirls are a blessing to us and we are looking forward to a couple of weeks on Harvey Lake and spoiling them a bit at the end of July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post Sheila! I haven't read "One Thousand Gifts" yet, but it is on my to-read list. I love that you are trying your own garden this year... we started with good intentions with our garden but our weekends have been so incredibly busy that we haven't even planted anything yet :( I've been hoping to pick up some more mature plants at the market. And I love the idea of getting away and reconnecting on the boat. Glad you are having a nice summer!

    ReplyDelete